Sunday, May 1, 2011

Breakers beat the Taipans! (Burger King beats McDonalds)

OK so it's not the Lakers versus the Celtics, but when you live this far from the birthplace of basketball, you get what you got. The New Zealand Breakers made history on Friday night by winning the NBL Championship in Auckland to a sold out crowd of 4200.

And just WTF is a Taipan? Just one more reason to visit New Zealand instead of Australia.

One difference between the NBL and the NBA, aside from the blatant display of sponsorship, is that the losers  get a second place trophy and have to sit on the court while the winners celebrate. Sure its good sportsmanship, but it kinda reminds me of playing in little league, where of course there are no losers. Good lesson for Little Man I suppose.

On a final note, the game was broadcast on cable and not the free TV where apparently you could watch an uninterrupted 6 hour broadcast of some wedding in England. Get your priorities straight NZ. Royal pain in the arse.

3 comments:

  1. Excuse me but the Royal Wedding was super important and I hope you were taking notes. I could tell the Queen about you, you know. Then you'd be in trouble...
    Matt.
    PS Hurrumph well done Breakers I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matthew,
    I had English grandparents, even though I am from the USA. I thought you ended well by saying well done and a lot of cheek. New Zealand's sports are the way it can be better known to the whole world and not part of archaic traditions. My name is Ruffian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Southern USA LADY02 June, 2011 18:19

    Scott, WTF is a Taipan, inquiring USA minds want to know? By the way, the Breakers now have another fan. Made history huh, bloody good show. Lady from Virginia

    ReplyDelete