Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Tale of Two Earthquakes

On Monday I was strolling through the park (literally, with a stroller) listening to the life story of Steve Martin when suddenly my legs began to quiver. Normally I can hear the earthquake first, so I took my headphones off to confirm that the ground was once again seething with energy. I was standing alongside a row of massive sequoia, cedar and redwood trees and was startled to see that they were swaying like giant Ents on parade in Middle Earth. They groaned and creaked and their nearby deciduous cousins were shedding abnormal amounts of colorful fall leaves. The odd part is that the leaves came straight down rather than blowing off sideways in a breeze. Anyway, had to be there. A kid on a bike in front of me panicked and bolted around a gravel path, only to slam on his brakes and glance around quickly. I told him to stay calm but he didn't hear me and quickly sped off in another direction. The shaking only lasted about 10 - 15 seconds and as I stood there, heart pounding in my chest, I wondered about far reaching effects. It was a strong shake, I guessed high 5's (it turned out later to be a 5.7).

An hour or so after this I made my way back to the car and drove over to mom's work where I parked across from the old college; a series of beautiful Gothic stone buildings surrounded by bracing and fences as a result of previous earthquake damage. With Logan in my arms, I had a quick chat with the local barista and started walking down the street. Then a loud booming and the ground resumed its tremor, this time with even greater strength. Reflexively I jumped towards the middle of the street and widened my stance to maintain balance. Time seemed to slow as I looked up to see the overhead tram wires bouncing like jump ropes. Behind them a large triangle shaped chunk of brickwork tipped off a second story pinnacle and exploded on the cafe patio below. Astonished, I quickly turned towards the Cathedral (centerpiece of the city square and also severely damaged in February) in clear view a few blocks away. As the shaking continued the giant circular "rose" window suddenly crumbled and disappeared in a massive pall of dust. The 6.3 lasted almost 30 seconds. Little Logan stayed cool as a cucumber, oblivious to the inner workings of subductive plate tectonics and strike-slip faultlines. Mom was safe too under a table somewhere, though a bit more scared this time around. Can't blame her.

before
after

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your Ninja type awareness and moves are keeping you and the little guy safe in the rocking and rolling city of Christchurch.

    Can't believe there have been this many quakes continually destroying the city. And to think that Rosa and I were a mere 5 hours away of enjoying the beautiful city. What a shame. You should move back to somewhere where they don't have quakes, you know LA. Eric H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In awe at your sure footedness18 June, 2011 16:13

    Wow, Scott, the before photo was exactly as I had remembered the Cathedral. I was going to wish Mr. Mum a Happy Father's Day. But that greeting pales with the news you just gave. The earthquakes are coming a little too close. The big one was in August of last year, so you still have two months to be careful about. I'm sure Mom was frantic thinking of you and little man out there in the rubble. Definitely be more careful of your driving excursions from now on.
    Father's day is just a piece of white bread, but Mr. Mum is the croissant who is vividly aware of every beat in his sons body. Happy Father's Day more than I can say.
    The huge missing glass in the cathedral is quite evident in the before and after photos. I wish I were there with you three, but I would not be so nimble footed.

    Grandma Carolyn

    ReplyDelete